Today we are excited to bring you a conversation with Amy Lacey, the bestselling author of Cali’flour Kitchen and the founder of Cali’flour Foods, a company that sells cauliflower-based foods and currently the fastest growing food
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:41] Before we jump into today’s interview, please rate, review, and subscribe to the Leveling Up Podcast!
- [00:56] Hear about the circumstances that led to Amy starting Cali’flour Foods.
- [01:39] The journey of discovering all the foods that were causing inflammation in her body.
- [02:30] Wanting to find a way to still eat pizza and experimenting with a cauliflower pizza base.
- [03:01] Taking her pizza bases to the farmers’ market and selling out before even getting there!
- [04:18] What Cali’flour Foods’ bestselling products are and those coming to market soon.
- [05:24] The percentage of her business that comes from e-commerce versus retail.
- [06:18] Putting the customer at the center of the brand and sharing their success stories.
- [06:51] Deciding to bring in the venture capitalists to help her get into the grocery market.
- [08:50] How the capital piece was more about strategy than money per se.
- [09:58] Growing from 18 to 100 employees since bringing in the VCs and other great stats.
- [11:00] Find out how COVID-19 has affected their business and sales.
- [12:06] How she went from stay-at-home mom to 8-figure entrepreneur.
- [13:31] Prioritizing customer service by employing people who had significant experience in it.
- [14:28] Amy’s pizza party with Erin Oprea and Martina McBride and other amazing meetings.
- [15:36] The importance of being a good listener and offering impeccable service.
- [16:15] Growing fast based on the integrity of the product and being transparent.
- [17:07] Why you need to surround yourself with people who have experience in the industry.
- [17:31] How Amy went about recruiting the right people and getting an advisory board together.
- [19:11] Get an idea of the equity you should be willing to give up to an advisory board.
- [21:20] Securing your trademark and being careful who you share your business with.
- [22:18] The value of the StoryBrand book, framework, workshop, and podcast.
- [23:46] Amy makes a case for why email is her favorite business tool.
Resources From The Interview:
- Amy Lacey on LinkedIn
- Amy Lacey on Instagram
- Cali’flour Foods
- Cali’flour Kitchen
- Robb Wolf
- Chico Farmers’ Market
- Erin Oprea
- The 4×4 Diet
- Martina McBride
- Whoopi Goldberg on Twitter
- Building a StoryBrand (Podcast)
- Donald Miller on LinkedIn
- Must-read book: Building a StoryBrand
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Who should I interview? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review here
- Subscribe to Leveling Up on iTunes
- Get the non-iTunes RSS Feed
Connect with Eric Siu: